Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Death of Blogging

Well, I still am enjoying my time off work - I have been doing some more paraglidng this week. Yesterday was an especially....

WE DON'T WANT TO READ ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT PARAGLIDING. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A BOARDGAMING BLOG.

Er, yes, OK. It's just that yesterday was a particularly good day at Butser Hill, and I....

ENOUGH ABOUT YOUR RECKLESS OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES. HAVE YOU ACTUALLY DONE ANY BOARDGAMING LATELY?

Well, not much to be honest. I started soloing an ASLSK scenario.

WHICH ONE?

S2 "War of the Rats".

AH YES, ONE OF MY FAVOURITES. WHICH SIDE WON?

I didn't finish. I cleared it down again, so that I could set up Twilight Struggle.

BIT FLIGHTY AREN'T YOU?

I'm trying to learn the rules of Twilight Struggle ready to play it with Dave this weekend.

IS THAT ALL THE GAMING YOU HAVE DONE RECENTLY? CALL YOURSELF A GAME BLOGGER?

Well I've been doing some clearing out of my games collection. I took a few down to Oxfam (Star Wars Monopoly, a Compendium, something else I have forgotten already) and I have been doing some trading on BoardGameGeek - I swapped Medieval for Tyros and sold Triumph and Glory. I also want to trade away the D&D Boardgame and the 1995 Acquire, but no takers so far. Plus I have an auction currently running on eBay for Grand Illusion.

INTERESTING. BUT IT'S NOT REALLY GAMING AS SUCH IS IT.

Oh, I was forgetting, I met up with Les in the pub on Monday.

HOW MANY GAMES DID YOU PLAY?

Three.

(SIGH) THAT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING. I SUPPOSE. WHAT WERE THEY?

Aton - I enjoyed that. It felt like a big game in a small box. I suppose it's an area control game of sorts, with a few clever variations on the theme. I won (just). Then we played BattleLine....

ONE OF MY FAVOURITES.

....where Les scraped a victory after a hard struggle. Finally we played Um Krone Und Kragen. I ran away with that one, and I'm not sure if Les enjoyed it much - he was struggling to read the icons on the cards.

I NEVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM. IS THAT IT THEN? ANYTHING ELSE?

Well, not really. But there will be more - lot's more - this weekend. After the success of last year, I am holding the Festival of War again at my home, from Friday through to Saturday. Nick, Dave, John and possibly Phil and Steve are expected to come.

STRANGE NAME. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A PACIFIST?

Well, let's say I'm heading in that direction. But it's just a gaming weekend really, with an emphasis on 2-player wargaming. That's the idea anyway - last year it was mostly drunken Beowulf.

I SEE. WELL MAKE SURE YOU WRITE IT UP PROPERLY NEXT WEEK.

OK, will do. But, er.... who are you anyway? You remind me of a character from a Terry Pratchett book.... what was he called now?....

NEVER YOU MIND. LET US JUST SAY THAT NEXT TIME WE MEET, THE OCCASION MAY BE MORE.... FINAL....

No comments: