Monday, February 25, 2002

Nick John Steve and Dave turned up in my living room Saturday afternoon. Not sure who let them in, but they quickly found my corkscrew and my wine stash, got "History of the World" down from the shelf and got started. Of course they made me play as well. Good fun actually - I'm always excited by the audacious scope of this game combined with the simple and fun mechanics. We had a bit of bickering about the Gibson's rules compared with later versions. In fact bickering was a feature of the afternoon - we spent time squabbling about Graham Hancock, joining the Euro, what to play next, and who was providing the next bottle of wine. Anyway, after 5 hours John overtook Steve to rob him of victory at the last moment, in spite of Steve drawing the British in Epoch 7. Steve left in disgust, we had a bite to eat, then settled down to something lighter - two games of Carcassone, both of which were won by John. I think everyone was disgusted by now (except John), and the wine had run out, it was nearly 11pm, so we all went home - except me, I was home already, I just had to clear away the debris and get the vacuum cleaner going (someone has muddy feet)......

No comments: