Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Ken Layne has a strangely sensible set of quotes from an interview with that annoying Tariq Ali, for example:

I hope that they are listening. I know that the situation in Palestine [for example] is awful. I have large numbers of Palestinian friends. But I do not like the strategy of using suicide bombers to kill civilians. I think it is counterproductive. I think that the only way the Palestinians can get somewhere is by winning over a sizable core of Israelis to their cause. Which will happen. These killings don't help. You say that and they scream, "You don't live here! You don't know what it’s like!" This is absolutely true. On the other hand, I am not in favor of sending our young people to kill themselves. "They want to do it! They’re despairing." I know, I know. It’s an awful situation.

No comments: